We all dream of throwing lavish parties, mixing great drinks and generally pretending to be Jay Gatsby. Ensuring your guests have a good time and you can make every party a hit requires a little planning, preparation, and investment in high-quality bar essentials.
To create the bar of your dreams you’ll need a few things
Aside from the liquor, a home bar needs to be accessible, functional, and look great. You will want comfortable lounge furniture and bar stools, lighting to create the right atmosphere, and an audio system for great music.
The basic set up for the bar area will require:
A mini fridge/freezer is ideal for keeping your white wine cold, as well as things such as vermouth. It is also needed to ensure you always have ice on hand.
- Ice bucket and trays
- Bar spoon
- Cocktail shaker
- Short glasses – commonly called an Old Fashioned glass or lowball glass, these are for muddled drinks, and neat or over ice spirits.
- Red and white wine glasses – either have a dozen of each style on hand, or choose a set that can double for both wine styles.
- Tall glasses – a highball or Tom Collin’s glass is used for mixed drinks and cocktails. Tom Collins’ glasses are narrower than a standard highball, but can serve both purposes, and vice versa.
- Martini/margarita glasses – it is better to buy as much glassware as you can afford to make your bar versatile. However, margarita glasses can also double for martinis if need be.
- Shot glasses – whether for measuring drinks or getting the party started, shot glasses are a bar classic.
A great, well-stocked home bar can give even the most causal of gatherings a touch of elegance and sophistication. Think beyond a slab of beer and a box of wine, and invest in creating memorable parties your guests won’t want to end.