There’s nothing like a fresh face of makeup to get you feeling confident. If only it would stay that way from morning till night. Between toiling away at work, walking the dog, cooking dinner and putting the kids to bed you’ve had a crazy busy day. By the time you look in the mirror it’s as though you didn’t put any makeup on at all this morning. So what are the secrets to keeping your face freshly made up? We’ve asked a few experts for help.
Professional tips for a professional face
Mel Von Stanke from Vanity Makeup Bar & Body Lounge has been in the makeup industry 16 years and agreed to share some of her best tips:
- Use makeup brushes for a flawless finish as your fingers contain oils
- When selecting a good quality foundation, choose one with an oil free formula, because they don’t contain the emollient ingredient that can fade makeup quicker
- Build your makeup coverage to be heavier in the centre of the face where you need more coverage and blend out sheerer toward the outer edges
- Set with a translucent powder to lock your foundation in place before applying anything else
- Choose a gel or liquid eyeliner which will definitely out last any pencil
- Use a lip stain under your lipstick and also on your cheeks under you blusher to extend the time you glow
- Always use a lip brush, this method presses the product into your lips much deeper than you will using your fingers or the stick of lip colour
“Now don’t touch! We spend a lot of time on our phones and the warmth from our hands and the screen against our cheeks can cause your makeup to fade faster than you realise.”
It’s all in your base
Most people assume layering up the foundation thick will keep it there all day or night long. Not the case! If you want makeup that stays put you need to prep your face properly before you’ve even touched the foundation brush. Natalia Webster from Chic On The Run shares the products she swears by:
“Long-lasting evening makeup requires a great primer, a translucent powder and a fantastic setting spray. For day-time makeup to last all day ensure you have a great touch up compact and apply it with a beauty blender. Have blotting paper on standby for any oil build up!”
Be activity appropriate
There’s no use wearing a full face to take the kids to the playground - you’re just asking for trouble. Make sure that your makeup suits the occasion. If you're attending a daytime or evening event then use the primers and brushes and every tool in between. If it’s a day out and about consider some lighter alternatives. Tinted BB creams and sunscreens are popular alternatives to many foundations and they have added skincare benefits for when you’re on the run.
Now every time you check yourself in the mirror you’ll be thrilled to see you look just as great as the moment you finished priming, prepping and beautifying your face.