There’s nothing better than getting into bed after a long, cold winter’s day–except for getting into a soft, fluffy and warm bed with teddy fleece sheets! These cosy sheets have become increasingly popular and for good reason. They’re warm, soft, fluffy and just like a cuddly teddy bear–but are they really worth the hype?
In this article, we’ll discuss what teddy fleece sheets are, their benefits, and what to look for when buying them.
What is Teddy Fleece?
You may be familiar with fleece blankets and their warm, soft and cosy feel, but teddy fleece sheets are the new winter bedding on the block. Teddy fleece sheets are made from a high-pile fabric and are known for their resemblance to soft and cuddly teddy bear fur. Crafted to bring extra warmth, comfort and cosiness, teddy fleece sheets are a great way to beat the winter chill. Like flannelette sheets, they undergo a manufacturing process that creates a soft and fuzzy texture. What sets these sheets apart is their long, shaggy pile that resembles the fur of a stuffed teddy.
What is Teddy Fleece Made Of?
Typically, teddy fleece sheets are made from polyester fibres that are woven together, creating a dense, plush texture. Teddy fleece sheets usually feature a double-sided design, with one side showcasing plush teddy fleece and the other a smoother brushed fabric or microfibre. The combination of these layers is what makes teddy fleece sheets so soft, warm and breathable.
Other Types of Fleece
Fleece is a popular fabric known for its softness, warmth, and versatility, being used for winter and outdoor clothing, blankets and bedding. However, not all fleece is created equal! There are different types of fleece, with key differences.
Polar fleece is a lightweight, synthetic fabric that provides excellent insulation while remaining breathable. Like teddy fleece, polar fleece is made from polyester fibres that are tightly woven together, creating a soft and plush texture. Polar fleece is known for its moisture-wicking properties, making it ideal for outdoor activities, sportswear and cold-weather gear.
Microfleece is a type of fleece that is extremely lightweight and has a finer texture compared to polar fleece. It’s made from finely knit polyester fibres, resulting in a soft and smooth fabric. Microfleece provides good insulation and is often used in base layers, blankets and sleepwear due to its cosy feel and moisture-wicking elements.
Sherpa fleece is a thick and plush fabric that mimics the texture of sheepskin. Typically, it’s made by combining a layer of soft fleece with a layer of fluffy pile on the other side, creating a cosy and warm material. Sherpa fleece is commonly used in jackets, blankets and other winter accessories and has excellent insulation and a luxurious feel.
What’s the Difference Between Fleece and Teddy Fleece?
The main difference between other fleece types and teddy fleece lies in its texture and appearance. While regular fleece fabrics have a smooth or slightly textured surface, teddy fleece has a longer, shaggy pile that creates a more plush and fluffy look. Teddy fleece often feels more luxurious and indulgent due to its resemblance to a teddy bear’s fur.
Other types of fleece, such as polar fleece and microfleece offer plenty of benefits, but teddy fleece is typically chosen for that cosy, snuggle look and feel. Its longer and shaggier pile, exceptional softness, insulation and cosy aesthetic is what sets teddy fleece apart. These features make teddy fleece a popular choice for those seeking a cuddly, luxurious fabric that exudes comfort and warmth.
Benefits of Teddy Fleece Sheets
Teddy fleece sheets offer plenty of benefits, from their soft and fluffy feel to their insulating qualities.
- Soft: The standout feature of teddy fleece sheets is their luxurious softness. The high-pile fabric creates a velvety texture that is incredibly gentle and soothing against the skin, enhancing your overall comfort and relaxation.
- Warm: Teddy fleece sheets are designed to provide superior warmth, making them perfect for colder seasons or those who tend to feel chilly at night. The plush fabric traps heat, keeping you cosy and snug throughout the night.
- Moisture-Wicking: Despite their warmth, teddy fleece sheets are also designed to be moisture-wicking. The fabric draws moisture away from your body, helping to regulate body temperature and preventing you from overheating.
- Durable: Teddy fleece sheets are known for their durability. The tightly woven fibres make them resistant to pilling, fading, and wear.
- Easy to Maintain: Typically, teddy fleece sheets are easy to care for and machine washable, maintaining their softness and fluffy appearance with minimal effort.
- Hypoallergenic: Many teddy fleece sheets are hypoallergenic, making them suitable for those with allergies or sensitivities. The tight weave of the fabric helps reduce the accumulation of allergens, providing a cleaner and healthier sleep environment.
What to Look For in Teddy Fleece Bedding
- Material Quality: Look for teddy fleece sheets made from high-quality polyester fibres. The quality of the polyester fibres on teddy fleece sheets affects their overall benefits and longevity. Opt for sheets made from high-quality polyester fabric for more durability and insulation properties. Additionally, look for sheets that are hypoallergenic and free from harmful chemicals, making them suitable for individuals with sensitive skin or allergies.
- Weight and Thickness: Consider the weight and thickness of teddy fleece sheets. Look for those that are thick enough to keep you warm but not excessively heavy, which could end up feeling uncomfortable. A medium-weight option is ideal as it strikes the balance between warmth and breathability. Keep in mind that the thickness of the sheets can also affect their overall softness, so choose a thickness that aligns with your personal preferences.
- Size and Fit: Make sure to measure your mattress before purchasing to ensure the sheets will fit correctly. Most standard mattress sizes (single, double, queen, king, etc.) are available, but it’s always wise to double-check.
- Deep Pockets: Deep pockets allow the fitted sheet to wrap around the mattress without coming loose or popping off during the night. This design feature ensures that the sheet stays securely in place, providing a smooth and comfortable surface to sleep on. We recommend you look for sheets with pockets at least 36cm deep to accommodate a wide range of mattresses.
- Aesthetic & Design: Teddy fleece sheets are available in a wide range of colours and patterns, so you can choose a style that complements your bedroom decor.