Breakups suck. There are few occasions where separating is a joyous event and the support of friends and family is vital to getting you back on your feet; whether it’s physically, financially, socially or emotionally.
There’s another remedy for speeding up the healing process and that’s a good old fashioned makeover. Here are 5 healthy, confidence-boosting, relaxing and emotionally rewarding ways to reinvent yourself after a breakup... from the toenails up!
1. Spin baby, spin!
Studies reveal that exercise can treat mild to moderate depression just as effectively as antidepressants - minus the side effects! Exercising with music can also benefit athletic performance by up to 15 percent, so it makes sense to do them together, right? And what better way to forget the ex than in a spin class designed to physically and mentally replenish you with a disco style cardio party at Bodhi & Ride’s boutique Melbourne RIDE Chamber.
2. Colour Therapy
Some ancient civilisations such as the Egyptians and Chinese used chromotherapy (the use of colours to heal). Now while there are no direct scientific correlations between painting your nails and increased feelings of happiness, a colourful nailart makeover could be just what you need post-breakup to take your mind off things. Whether you enlist the services of a professional nail technician or splash around with your own glitter nail polish, a fresh set of claws is a great post-split mood-booster.
3. Take it Lying Down
Improved mood, reduced anxiety, lessening of depression and decreases in anger and anxiety are just some of the benefits a good massage lends to easing the heartache and pain of a breakup. Not quite ready to shed the trackies and Ugg boots? Hire a mobile massage therapist and have a trained professional arrive on your doorstep at a convenient time for you, or DIY with a Deep Kneading Heat Pillow for Neck, Body & Back Massages.
4. Transform Your Tresses
As Coco Chanel said, “A woman who cuts her hair is about to change her life”. Reinvent your newly-single self with some colour-changing hair dye, hair extensions or sweet hair accessories and headbands. And if you’re in need of some serious body maintenance after the split, book a brazilian wax or sort it out once and for all with your very own home laser hair removal machine.
5. Call in the Backup
You don’t need an excuse to get your makeup done, but why not create one? Organise a get together with friends and have a professional mobile makeup artist come to the house to create your new look for a night out on the town. Slip into a luxurious Japanese silk kimono for the sitting and sip on some Japanese Slippers while you enjoy a pampering before a night out with your BFFs.
Image source: Jessica Hanna Hair & Beauty
Before we get too far down the rabbit hole of the benefits of renewable energy sources over traditional energy sources, maybe we should explain exactly what it is we are talking about.
Winners: How Ridiculous
Last night, the 2017 Australia’s Top 50 Influencer Awards, presented by online retailer MyDeal.com.au, unveiled the most inspiring and influential bloggers Australia has to offer.
The judges of the Australian Top 50 Influencer Awards, which celebrates the most inspiring and successful online influencers, have revealed their finalists and winners.
This year’s winner was How Ridiculous, a multi-talented trio who travel the globe breaking world records, saving children’s lives and paving a new path for online influencers. Since they began, they have gained over 500k subscribers on YouTube and over 74 million Youtube views, making them one of the biggest online influencers in Australia. They have earned two Guinness World Records, collaborated with Ri De Janeiro's Football World Cup and have release hundreds of children from poverty across the world.
Jacko Brazier was crowned as the Social Media King. Jacko has over 270k followers on Instagram alone. Jacko the teen heartthrob, who is a self-proclaimed third wheeler, shot to fame with his viral Vine videos and is now an aspiring musician and YouTuber. He has over 240k subscribers on YouTube and has his own merch.
Congratulations to those who made it into the Top 50
1. How Ridiculous - Brett, Derek and Scott (@howridiculous)
2. They Get Around - Steve and Lexi - (@theygetaround)
3. Not So Mumsy - Marcia Leone (@notsomumsy)
4. Miss Gunner - Ashley Schuberg (@miss_gunner)
5. Chloe Ting - Chloe Ting (@chloe_t)
6. Li-Chi Pan - Li-Chi Pan (@lichipan)
7. The TrendSpotter - Dasha and Colin (@thetrendspotter)
8. Diary of Jake - Jake Bley (@jakebley)
9. Melbourne Girl - Emily Collie (@melbournegirl)
10. Angry Dad - Mitch and Dylan Orval (@itsangrydad)
11. Man of Many - Scott and Frank (@manofmanytastes)
12. George Eats - Georgia McDermott (@georgeats)
13. How To Cook That - Ann Reardon (@howtocookthat)
14. The Single Mum Diaries - Leila Stead (@singlemumdiaries)
15. Crowd Media - Judy Sahay (@crowdmediahq)
16. Boss Hunting - Jack, Tom, John and Antonio (@bhofficial)
17. Fashion Advocate - Claire Goldsworthy (@thefashionadvocate)
18. Keep It Cleaner - Laura Henshaw (@keepitcleaner)
19. Doxies Down Under - Karan White (@doxiesdownunder)
20. Rosie Luik - Rosie Luik (@rosie_luik)
21. This Island Life - Laura McWhinnie (@thisislandlife)
22. Crystal Conte - Crystal Conte (@crystal_conte)
23. Jacko Brazier - Jackson Brazier (@jackobrazier)
24. Young Blood Runs Wild - Tully Smyth (@tee_smyth)
25. Citizens Of The World - Meghan and Dominic (@citizensoftheworld)
26. Helen Chik - Helen Chik (@helenchikx)
27. Lauren Bath - Lauren Bath (@laurenepbath)
28. I Ate My Way Through - Jennifer Lam (@iatemywaythrough)
29. Nomadasaurus - Alesha and Jarryd (@nomadasaurus)
30. Mr Jake Rich - Jake Rich (@mr.jakerich)
31. Stylephiles - Steph and Kaz (@thestylephiles)
32. Jarrad Seng - Jarrad Seng (@jarradseng)
33. Gastrology - Delphine and John (@gastrology.co)
34. Kid’s Fashion Blogger - Sandi Zaljevic (@kidsfashionblogger)
35. Deja Vu Blog - Teresa Vu (@teresa_vu)
36. King Kingsley - Emma Hill (@kingkingsley_)
37. Noodlies - Thang Ngo (@thangngo)
38. Spa It Girl - Yvette Le Blowitz (@spaitgirl)
39. Neverland Boys - Joshua, Jaxon, Elliot and Zac (@neverlandboys.co)
40. Gourmet Guerrilla - Lindsey Hoad (@thegourmetguerrilla)
41. Steph Adams - Steph Adams (@stephadams2012)
42. Alex Hayes - Alex Hayes (@alexhayess)
43. Tahlia Moffitt - Tahlia Moffitt (@tahliajmoffitt)
44. Let’s Go Mum - Barbara Bryan (@letsgomum)
45. Jade Kevin Foster - Jade Kevin Foster (@jadekevinfoster)
46. Sydney Chic - Deb Carr (@sydneychicblog)
47. Rawspirations - Sabrina Muscat (@rawspirations)
48. Eat Pray Workout - Amy Darcy (@eatprayworkout)
49. The Interiors Addict - Jen Bishop Francis (@interiorsaddict)
50. 5000 Poppies - Lynn Berry (@5000poppies)
With the long Labour Day weekend coming up in a couple of days, Melbourne mums might be wondering what to do to keep the little ones entertained for one day longer than usual. Long weekends are the perfect time to get creative with your ideas, and do things you don’t normally get around to doing due to the busy nature of school and work. So here are some tips to get you started for any long weekend where you’re struggling for ideas to keep your kids entertained.